The History of Calvary Baptist Church

Charter Members of Calvary Baptist Church


John Watts

Theoda Watts

Ora Lee Watts Brookshire

Mary Lou Brookshire

Dorcas Brookshire Dyson

Mary Brookshire Teague

Ethyl Brookshire Wallace

Margie Brookshire Miller

John Webster

Pansy Webster

Ruby Brown

Mable Lowman

Eunie Lowman

Pearl Steele

Nay Brookshire

Stella Brookshire

Fred Brookshire



The old red church building pictured above was erected was in 1948. Before that time, a group of people met for worship in a fertilizer house near Pink Kerley’s house. The fertilizer house later became Fincannon’s garage. The pastor of the fertilizer house was Rev. Isaac Watts.

Over the next several months the group of people felt lead to have a couple of revivals. Rev H.G. Liner from Concord NC and Rev Samuel Simms came to the fertilizer house to preach the word of God.

Later the group bought land from Bill Matlock. The group had to clear the land before they could build a church. Many people came and helped. Basically the group had to remove all briars, weeds, roots, and honeysuckles from the land. Rev. John Webster (better known as Uncle John Webster) played a vital role in the construction of the red church building. Uncle John gave the lumber for the church building. Many people assisted in constructing the red sided church. Eddie Webster (Uncle John’s son) and Dewey Mitchell lead the group of people who built the red church.

Rev. Gilbert Osborne was the first pastor of Calvary Baptist Church and he pastured the church for one year. Rev. Garfield Cardwell served as pastor from 1949 until 1954. During that time, Calvary Baptist joined the Alexander Baptist Association under the leadership of Rev. Cardwell. Next Rev. Roy Rufty came to Calvary early in 1954 a became the supply pastor. Rev. Rufty had a stroke in the pulpit and Nay Brookshire caught him and eased him into a chair.